With Hanukkah and Christmas just around the corner, shoppers have begun the holiday season by purchasing gifts for their loved ones. This presents the perfect opportunity for being environmentally conscious, as there are countless eco friendly products out there that would make for great gifts!
When doing your holiday shopping, here are a few things to look for if you want to buy products that are responsibly and sustainably manufactured:
- Items made with recyclables: It's never been easier to find gifts that are made with an alternative to plastic and other materials that have been recycled.
- Limited or no packaging: Since it's only going to end up in the trash, you may as well try to find products that either come with little or no packaging.
- Local products: Just as you would with food, try to find gifts that were made locally.
- Quality over quantity: Buying gifts that will last a long time is much better than purchasing items that will end up in a landfill within a few months.
- Vintage and used gifts: While some may believe that all gifts should be brand new, your loved ones will certainly appreciate a well-picked vintage item such as clothing or furniture, given how popular vintage and antique style is these days.
If we all take these small steps to ensure that our gift-giving is environmentally friendly, we can put a major dent in the amount of trash that makes its way to dumps, while also finding a new home for items that had been abandoned by previous owners. Most importantly, the recipients will love that their presents were green products!