Hair-care company celebrates Earth Day with historical wind project

Written By: Thatcher Michelsen April 20, 2012 0
Hair-care manufacturer Zotos powers its facility on 100 percent renewable energy.
Hair-care manufacturer Zotos powers its facility on 100 percent renewable energy.

A lot of businesses are spearheading projects to show the public that they are going green around this time of year as Earth Day approaches.

None, however, may be doing more than hair-care product manufacturer Zotos International Inc., which, according to the American Wind Energy Association (AWEA), will be celebrating the largest wind project that any manufacturing company in the United States has ever carried out.
The company's 670,000-square-foot facility In Geneva, New York, has two on-site 1,650 kW wind turbines, according to a press release.

On Friday, Zotos announced that it has officially met its goal of generating 100 percent of the operation's electricity with renewable energy sources. Not a bad way to roll into the weekend before Earth Day.

"After years of hard work, dedication and an unwavering commitment to sustainability, we have finally achieved a key milestone toward our vision of sustainable beauty," Anthony Perdigao, vice president of operations and chief sustainability officer at Zotos, said in a statement. "This is a historic moment for Zotos, our parent company and our community. If we can do it, so can others."

The wind turbines don't generate all of the plant's energy though. Almost 60 percent of the Geneva facility's electricity comes from the turbines, so to compensate for the other roughly 40 percent of their energy needs, Zotos has purchased about 9 million kWh of energy from green sources, according to the release.

The company said that it was able to fund 30 percent of the historical project with help from the 2009 federal stimulus bill called the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).

Leave A Response »